Monday, May 9, 2011

A Love That Will Last

My relationship wasn't with you; it was with a ghost,
The person whose life affected you most.
From others you have turned away,
Choosing to, in a dead relationship, stay.

As I could never make peace with this other,
So we were left with a cloud that would smother
All our attempts to begin anew,
Shared by the efforts of more than a few.

It is with great sadness I say good-bye
To the relationship that I now know was a lie.
I must finally let both false relationships die;
At least, I know I gave it my best try.

You have set yourself a near impossible task,
To remake yourself while in old habits you bask.
Go with love and make peace with your past;
Maybe then we can form a love that will last.

1 comment:

  1. 'Tis sad when a person cannot live in the present and must always compare those they are surrounded by to their past. I've seen it happen though, more than once. Reminds one of that old country song, "If you can't have the one you want, love the one you're with." (Or words to that effect.)

    ReplyDelete