Thursday, August 4, 2011

Gender

I would love for my mate to not be threatened by me,
But I don’t expect that he can see what I see.
His was a world that was universally protected
By the male god that was then usually projected.
I don’t blame him for the mistakes of our nations,
That were the guiding values for many generations.

I hope that he can accept my pain of process, and then,
Perhaps we, as men and women, can begin again.
At least, he accepts that his mother didn’t love him;
I hope that, with further conversation, things won’t seem so grim.
Fathers used to feel no compunction to fill the empty gaps
In which many mothers of children so clearly had a lack.

I celebrate the opportunity to make family decisions
That, hopefully, will not bring on society’s derision.
If we all free ourselves from prejudice of gender,
Families may be freed to, in this world, enter
A culture where individual gifts are accepted,
Rather than, because of gender, rejected.

1 comment:

  1. Ideas about gender do not alter the facts of a person's gifts. I still believe God is male - but he has the capacity to be all things to all men and women who accept His love. He is the man of velvet and steel. He is tender and rugged. He is loving and kind, yet disciplines His children firmly. Keep writing. You have found a powerful way of expression in your poetry.

    ReplyDelete