Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Healing Hearts and Heads

I believe that our inherited weaknesses are often what lead us to sin. If I can face my individual weakness and address it, I may be able to avoid turning the this weakness into sin. Sometimes the weakness presents in the form of sickness before it manifests itself as sin. There are many psychiatric illnesses that I think we use as excuses for sin, rather than as warning signs of weaknesses that need to be addressed before we turn to sin to make us "feel better".

The New Covenant made it impossible for us to blame our sins on the weaknesses of our parents. We are taught that salvation is not inherited; neither is sin. We can choose The Way or not. We also must choose a support group for The Way. Sadly, many who call themselves Christian, including many parents, are following paths that don't seem to be consistent with The Way of Christ.

As children, we are unable to follow any path but that set out for us by those who control our very survival. The way I was brought up, this authority over my life was transferred from my father, through my mother, to my pastor, to my husband. It wasn't until recently that I became aware that this was a great stumbling block to my being able to hear the voice of The Spirit inside my own soul.

I read scripture and often "hear" a different interpretation than what has been taught to me throughout my life. There are also many writings that I feel are sacred which are not contained in what we consider the totality of sacred scripture for now and for the future.

The Almighty's voice has always been available to anyone who seeks The Spirit of Holiness (Wholeness). We must stop believing that only the anointed few are privy to The Voice.

Holy Spirit Heal our hearts;
Holy Spirit heal our heads;
Holy Spirit take our tongues,
And have us speak Your words instead.

1 comment:

  1. Y, I have to disagree with your statement that we do not inherit sin. I believe that the weakness man inherited is the thing called the sin nature. That is, the proclivity to sin. If Adam had not disobeyed the ONE COMMANDMENT he had been given in the garden then his children would have been born pure and holy. However his children were not born to Adam until after his disobedience, or "fall", and therefore all men (and women) born to the first Adam inherit the nature of sin. It would be sad if that were the end of the story - however - God promised that the head of the serpent would be crushed by the heel of the seed of the woman. Jesus gave Nicodemus the answer to the dilemma of our inherited sinful nature when he said, "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God!" Yes, many sicknesses (including mental illness) lead to sin, but all sicknesses are not brought on because someone has sinned. Think of Job who was a perfect man whom God allowed to be tested sorely by sickness so severe that his own wife thought he was a hopeless case. Paul is another example of a man totally committed to God but who sufferred a "thorn in the flesh". Many others could be cited. And in the end "Be not deceived, for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption but he that soweth to the spirit shall of the spirit reap life everlasting." This verse means that if you choose the way of sin you will reap death as a result. If you have been born again and you continually seek to serve Him you will inherit heaven. Why? Because God loves us! He is not an angry God standing in the sky with a stick in hand ready to whale the sinner. He is a God of love, with outstretched arms, beckoning to us to come to Him.

    ReplyDelete